Monday, March 24, 2008

Apple borrowing a trick from Microsoft.

Martin and Andy had interesting experiences with the Apple Updater last week.
I used to run Safari in a VM on my workstation to test out applications at a previous employer. I have not used it very frequently over the past year or so. I was prompted to update it several times over the course of the last year when I was running the VM. I was prompted over the weekend to install on main system, which did not (and does not) have Safari installed.
I am a bit disappointed that an application vendor would try to install something on my system without it having been installed before. I wonder how many people installed the software without reading what they were going to install.
This is nothing new. Microsoft has attempted similar things in the past through Windows Update - making XP Service Pack 2 a required update - the Genuine Advantage software - there are other examples.
We can also look to the web, ActiveX controls, javascript, flash can all be automatically installed if the settings in your browser are incorrect (fortunately most of these do not work if you have kept the default settings).
Is this what we can expect in the future from software vendors. I would hope not. I might have had a different reaction to this if Apple had announced that they were planning this.
I have not seen a response or announcement from Apple as yet, and would be interested in know what they have to say.
I was originally going to say that I was never going to use Safari again, but I have a iMac in my basement that I use from time to time so that would not have been an accurate statement on my part. Will I install it on Windows, probably not. Will I buy another Apple product, we'll see.
John Lilly, the CEO of Mozilla, has a different take. I can't really blame him, but I am more on the annoyed side than angry. But I don't have a horse in that race. (Sorry for the bad pun - I have to get those out of the way from time to time).

Be Safe
James